Healthy Eating – Four Benefits Of Eating Bison Meat
If you are a fan of red meat, since going on your healthy eating plan you may be shunning this favorite source of protein. Some cuts of beef can be quite fatty and full of cholesterol, and in many people’s minds, just don’t quite fit on a body weight management plan. But, this does not mean all red meat needs to get the boot. In fact, bison, a wild game meat, is one of the healthiest protein sources you can consume.
Here are some major benefits of bison…
1. Lower In Fat And Calories. First, know per a four ounce serving of bison, you will be taking in a total of 124 calories and 6 grams of fat. In that, you will get 17 grams of high-quality protein, making it an excellent option for eating after a workout session.
The protein found in bison is a complete protein and one highly absorbable by the body, so it will go a long way towards promoting optimal muscle repair.
2. An Excellent Source Of Iron. Active individuals need to ensure they are getting enough iron in their diet on a regular basis. Iron is responsible for the formation of red blood cells, which then transport oxygen throughout the working muscle tissues.
Bison doesn’t fall short. It provides 2.3 mg of iron per serving, giving you about 13% of your total daily needs.
3. Very Often Grass-Fed. One thing with bison is because it is a wild meat, it’s very unlikely you will find grain-fed bison roaming the lands. Nearly 100% of the time, this meat is grass-fed because it is out in the wild. This is in direct contrast to beef, which is primarily grain-fed. While you can find grass-fed beef, it is harder to come by. With bison, you would not have to worry about taking this extra step to search for grass-fed because if it is bison you are looking at, chances are, it already is.
Grass-fed meat has a higher nutritional content and is usually lower in fat as well.
4. A Good Source Of Omega Fats. Because of the fact bison is grass-fed, this means it will also offer a healthy dose of omega-3 fatty acids. Grass-fed red meat has a much healthier fat profile compared to grain-fed red meat, so this will go a long way towards improving your overall health status.
Omega-3 fatty acids are essential for…
- keeping your heart healthy,
- preventing Type 2 diabetes,
- increasing brain health, and for
- maximizing your body composition.
If you have not yet had the opportunity to check out bison, now is the time. While it is a little pricier than regular beef, the cost is well worth it at least on occasion.